This Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole is made with layers of salsa, black beans, sweet potato, tomatoes, tortillas and is finished off with a sprinkle of cheese. A family-friendly enchilada casserole recipe, that’s as tasty as it is healthy. This Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole is vegetarian and can be gluten-free depending on which wraps you choose, but can also be easily adapted to include meat, using ground turkey, beef or shredded chicken. Rotisserie chicken also works great.
The combo of sweet potatoes and black beans is a favorite of mine. Not only are they both delicious together, but they also pack a nutritional punch! There’s just 8 ingredients (+ seasonings) in this sweet potato black bean casserole. Everything gets stacked together in layers before it’s baked to golden brown perfection.
SERVES 4-6 | PREP TIME – 10 mins | COOK TIME – 25 mins
(When serving 4)
PER SERVING – Cals 409 | Fat 12g | Carbs 60g | Protein 17g
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (cook in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes before cutting, to soften)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 2-4 tortillas, depending on size (corn, flour, sprouted, gluten-free or whole wheat)
- 4 ounces shredded cheese, use dairy-free if desired (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: fresh coriander, avocado sliced, guacamole, and/or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potato (that has been slightly softened), black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, and cinnamon.
- Spread ½ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into strips to get the right fit. Spoon a large layer of sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining ½ cup salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
- Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese, if using.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes and until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
- Top with additional salsa, coriander, and/or avocado, if desired.