Grated courgette makes these lean pork meatballs extra juicy – serve with a creamy, herby sauce and a flavour-packed salad for a healthy, satisfying dinner.
SERVES 4 | TOTAL COOK TIME = 40 mins | PREP TIME = 20 mins
Per Serving = 447 Cals | Fat 22g | Carbs 24g | Protein 38g
For the meatballs
- 500g lean pork mince (5% fat)
- 100g coarsely grated courgette, squeezed of excess juice
- 1 onion, grated
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder, made up to 300ml with boiling water
- 2 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
For the salad
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp capers
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 320g cooked beetroot, cut into strips
- To make the meatballs, tip the pork into a bowl and add the grated courgette and onion, half the dill, half the garlic and plenty of black pepper. Break in the egg and mix well with your hands. When everything is well combined, break off walnut-size pieces and roll into balls – you should end up with about 28. The mixture will be very soft.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan then gently fry the meatballs in two batches until firm and pale golden, turning them every now and then so they brown evenly. Each batch should take 6-8 mins.
- Wipe out the pan to remove excess fat and add the remaining garlic and thyme, then pour in the bouillon and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat, stir in the crème fraîche and remaining dill, then return the meatballs to the pan and turn them in the mixture until coated.
- For the salad, mix the apple, onion, parsley and capers with the lemon, then stir through the beetroot.
- Serve the salad alongside the meatballs.
- If you’re cooking for two people, eat half the meatballs and salad now, and chill the rest for another day – it will keep in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat the meatballs in the microwave until piping hot.