Mediterranean turkey-stuffed peppers
· 2 red peppers
· 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
· 240g lean turkey mince
· ½ small onion (chopped)
· 1 Garlic clove (grated)
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 3-4 sliced mushrooms
· 400g can chopped tomatoes
· 1 tbsp tomato puree
· 1 Chicken stock cube
· Handful of fresh oregano leaves
· 60g mozzarella (grated)
· 150g green vegetables (spinach, kale, broccoli, mangetout or green beans)
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Halve the peppers lengthways, then remove the seeds and core but keep the stalks on. Rub the peppers with a drizzle of olive oil and season well. Put on a baking tray and roast for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Fry the mince for 2-3 mins, stirring to break up the chunks, then tip onto a plate.
- Wipe out your pan, then heat the rest of the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir-fry for 2-3 mins, then add the cumin and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 mins more.
- Tip the mince back into the pan and add the chopped tomatoes and tomato purée. Crumble in the stock cube and cook for 3-4 mins, then add the oregano and season. Remove the peppers from the oven and fill them with as much of the mince as you can. Top with the cheese and return to the oven for 10-15 mins until the cheese starts to turn golden.
- Carefully slide the peppers onto a plate and serve alongside a pile of your favourite greens blanched, boiled or steamed.
Nutritional info per serving
Calories – 403 Protein = 40g Carbs = 15g Fat = 19g Fibre = 5g