This meatballs soup is hearty, healthily balanced, delicious, and simple to make. This recipe is great comfort food to help warm you up as the nights continue to draw in and get colder.
It is full of good stuff like lots of veggies, good quality protein from the extra-lean ground beef, and an organic low-sodium chicken broth. Also, this soup is super easy to make and very satisfying.
Pasta dishes are often seen as THE go-to comfort food, but homemade soups are a close second. All the flavors of fresh ingredients come together for a tasty bowl that warms you right up.
Adding meatballs makes this meal extra filling. Plus, it is a great source of protein. For sure, this is a meal to help substitute for your Italian food cravings without eating lots of carbs and heavy sauces.
SERVES 4-6 | PREP TIME 20 mins | COOK TIME 45 mins
Per serving = Calories 479 | Fat 15g | Carbs 42g | Protein 42g
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1lb/0.5kg (extra lean) ground beef — We really recommend you get this from your local butchers as opposed to a supermarket!
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs — (or you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond flour)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese— optional
- 1/4 cup parsley — finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup red onion — chopped
- 1 tsp powder garlic
- 1 tsp powder onion
- 1/2 tsp dried Basel
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SOUP
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup red onion — chopped
- 1 cup celery — diced
- 3/4 cup carrots — diced
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes — diced
- 2 cups potato — diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce — sugar-free works too
- 6 cups chicken broth (or chicken flavour stock is a good alternative, use at least 2-4 cubes though)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika — optional
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning/herbs
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish
METHOD FOR THE MEATBALLS
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and on top of it with parchment paper. Then, place a backing rack on top of the preparing baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, red onion, powder garlic, powder onion, dried basil, salt and black pepper.
- Use your hands to mix everything together and roll the mixture into meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
METHOD FOR THE SOUP
- In a large pot heat olive oil over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, potatoes, tomato sauce, broth, garlic powder, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and simmer partially-covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and drop the meatballs.
- Cook for more 10 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan (optional).