Add this super simple pasta bake to your weeknight repetoire for an easy, cheesy and hearty, yet reasonably healthy, meal that is perfect for feeding a hungry family.
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME – 25 mins | COOK TIME 20-25 mins | TOTAL COOK TIME 45-50 mins
Per Serving – 608 Cals | Fat 23g | Carbs 74g | Protein 26g
- 250g large pasta shells
- 1 head of broccoli
- Glug of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 finely sliced red onions
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml red wine
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- ½ bunch of torn fresh basil
- 240g pack of peppered smoked mackerel fillets
- ½ bunch of basil
- 100ml light crème fraîche
- 50g grated mature cheddar
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta shells for 2 minutes less than the pack instructions.
- Add the head of broccoli, sliced into florets, for the last 2 minutes of the cooking time, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat a glug of oil and fry the red onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato purée, fry for a few minutes, then add the red wine. Bubble for 2 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes and basil. Cook for 10 minutes, then season.
- Remove the skin from a the mackerel fillets and break up into bite-size pieces. Stir into the pan with the remaining basil and light crème fraîche. Spoon into a 2 litre baking dish (or keep in the pan if it’s ovenproof) and top with grated mature cheddar.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and piping hot throughout.