There’s one of two ways to make these turkey tacos: in the slow cooker OR on the stovetop. The slow cooker option is perfect for entertaining or game day and the stovetop version is a go-to for weeknight Mexican meals.
To make turkey tacos in the slow cooker: all you have to do is brown the turkey then throw it in the slow cooker and let it cook for a few hours. The flavors are insanely good.
To make turkey tacos on the stovetop: brown the turkey on the stovetop then add the spices and tomato sauce and a little water. Simmer for 10 minutes then enjoy!
Reasons to 💚 these easy turkey tacos:
- They’re incredibly easy. All you have to do is brown the turkey then throw it in the slow cooker or cook on the stovetop. EASY!
- They can be made for a crowd, if you’d like, and back when it’s possible and safe to have a crowd around your place. You can double, triple or even quadruple this recipe. So if you’re having a party, this is an awesome & inexpensive meal.
- Hello DIY taco bar. Use this to make your own taco bar. Just get all the fixin’s chopped up and let your turkey cook in the slow cooker. Then have your guests make their own tacos. It’s such party pleaser.
- Homemade taco seasoning is involved. A few simple spices + tomato sauce and you’ve got awesome REAL deal taco seasoning with no JUNK.
- You can make these paleo: Simply leave out the tortillas and pile the taco meat on your favorite salad. Or you can use something like Siete Food almond flour or cashew flour tortillas alternatively to the soft corn flour tortillas.
The easiest slow cooker turkey tacos on the planet. Made with a DIY homemade taco seasoning. Truly a go-to weeknight taco recipe!
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME – 10 mins |
STOVE COOK TIME – 20 mins | STOVE TOTAL COOK TIME 30 mins
SLOW COOKER COOK TIME 2 hrs 10 mins | SLOW COOKER TOTAL COOK TIME 2 hrs 20 mins
Per Serving (with toppings) = 515 Cals | Fat 27g | Carbs 32g | Protein 34g
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 lbs 94% lean turkey mince (can also use 99% lean if you desire)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can chopped tomatoes (/1 cup)
- 1/4 cup water (only if making stovetop version)
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- salt to taste
- Optional toppings:
- 8 soft corn tortillas (or flour if you prefer)
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (can also use 1 large tomato, diced)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced (or sub guacamole)
- Shredded lettuce, for topping
- Sliced fresh or pickled jalapenos, for topping
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Add diced onions and turkey. Brown the turkey, and break up the meat with a wooden spoon until nice and browned, about 5 minutes.
- TO MAKE ON THE STOVETOP: add in garlic, tomato sauce water, cumin, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir to combine. Simmer over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken up.
- TO MAKE IN THE SLOW COOKER: Transfer to the slow cooker and add in garlic, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once ready to serve, divide meat between 8 corn tortillas. Add optional toppings: tomatoes, cheese, diced avocado/guacamole, lettuce and jalapeno. Serves 4. Optional to serve with greek yogurt, if desired.