Healthier Crustless Quiche Lorraine is a smarter brunch recipe, all the rich creamy flavor but it’s hiding extra veggies for the win!
It’s creamy and rich just like the traditional version but secretly hiding cauliflower. High in vitamin C and a good source of folate and fibre, cauliflower has a delicate flavour and textured florets that open up as they cook, allowing spices and sauces to get in.
SERVES 6 | PREP TIME = 20 mins | COOK TIME = 45 mins | TOtAL COOK TIME = 1 hr 5 mins
Per Serving = 212 Cals | Fat 10g | Carbs 8g | Protein 18g
- 4 strips cooked uncured bacon divided 3 strips and 1 strip
- 1-2 Tablespoons fat/oil or rendered bacon fat
- 12 ounces frozen or fresh cauliflower rice
- ½ chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup shredded swiss or gruyere cheese or a mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup liquid egg whites or 4 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper or 20 turns of a grinder
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease a 9-inch pie dish (you also want it to be at least 1.5 inches deep) with fat/oil, you can use the bacon fat.
- Cook your cauliflower rice in a large nonstick skillet until tender in 2 teaspoons (bacon) fat. Once the cauliflower rice is tender add it to the pie dish and spread it evenly across.
- In another 2 teaspoons fat, (again you can use the bacon fat), cook your chopped yellow onion and garlic minced until translucent and tender, about 1-2 minutes. You can use the same skillet you cooked your cauliflower rice in. Add onions and garlic to the cauliflower in the pie dish.
- Crumble and sprinkle three strips of bacon into the pie dish.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, half and half, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the eggs into the pie dish. You can slightly move around the mixture so that the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Crumble the last strip of bacon and sprinkle it on top.
- Bake at 350F/180C for 45 minutes or until set. Leave to rest and cool down for 10 minutes before serving.
- To garnish sprinkle with green onions or chives.