This easy and healthy buffalo chicken salad makes a great lunch or protein-packed snack. Made with tangy buffalo sauce and plenty of fresh herbs, this chicken salad is full of that buffalo wing flavor you know and love. Not only is this chicken salad recipe delicious, it’s also Whole30 compliant, gluten-free, and Paleo-friendly.
This chicken salad is a little spicy, tangy, creamy, and crunchy, everything you want in a chicken salad. It uses a combo of mayo, fresh herbs, buffalo sauce, and seasonings to give you the flavor of a buffalo wing dipped in ranch dressing.
This recipe calls for a little over two cups of shredded or diced chicken breast. A common question asked is how to make the chicken for a chicken salad. There are a couple of different ways you can prepare the chicken for this recipe and they are all great options.
Here are a few great ways to make your chicken:
- Roast bone-in split chicken breasts – this is our favorite way to prep the chicken. Season two bone-in split chicken breasts with salt, pepper, avocado oil, garlic powder, and onion powder and then roast them at 400 degrees for around 40-45 minutes until completely cooked through. Once they have cooled, remove the skin, pull the meat from the bones, and dice up the meat.
- Bake boneless skinless chicken breasts – if you have some boneless skinless chicken breasts on hand, this another great option. Drizzle the chicken with oil and season the breasts with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Once cooled, dice up the meat.
- Poach boneless skinless chicken breasts – if you prefer, you can poach your chicken breasts in boiling water until they are cooked through.
- Use leftover roasted chicken – another great (and easy!) option is just to use leftover chicken from a whole roasted chicken. You could even use a combination of white and dark meat if you like.
SERVES 4 | TOTAL TIME – 55 mins | PREP TIME 10 mins | COOK TIME 45 mins
Per Serving – 391 Cals | Fat 19g | Carbs 9g | Protein 42g
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, diced or shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- juice of one lemon
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
HOW TO SERVE YOUR HEALTHY BUFFALO CHICKEN SALAD
There are several different ways you can serve your buffalo chicken salad. You can serve it on its own with fresh celery and carrot sticks, or try making a lettuce wraps with bibb lettuce leaves. Another option is to make a collard green wrap with fresh collard green leaves. You can also use your favorite bread to make a traditional sandwich with lettuce and tomato.