Bonfire Night sausage, chicken and squash Traybake
Although this year it may feel as though bonfire night has been cancelled, and you have to make do with a few fireworks just set off from either your own garden or the neighbourhood’s gardens, here’s a simple traybake recipe to help warm you up this bonfire night weekend.
Serve this easy sausage traybake with a big pile of wintery greens, such as Savoy cabbage. Optional chilli flakes will counter the maple sweetness.
Calories 494 | Carbs 52g | Fat 25g | Protein 31g
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 4–6 meaty pork sausages
- 500g/1lb 2oz pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into wedges
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- a few sprigs thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml/2fl oz red wine
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g/7oz chestnut mushrooms halved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh parsley, roughly chopped, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
- Arrange the chicken thighs (skin-side up), sausages, pumpkin/butternut squash and red onions in a roasting tin and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the thyme and drizzle over 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Mix the red wine with 100ml/3½fl oz of water and pour this in. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn the sausages over halfway through cooking to help them brown.
- Mix the maple syrup with the red wine vinegar and then drizzle it over the roasting tin. Sprinkle over the chilli flakes, if using. Add the mushrooms and drizzle with another tablespoon of oil.
- Roast for a further 25–30 minutes whilst you’re setting off your fireworks or watching the neighbours do so, until cooked through and well browned. Serve with any pan juices spooned over, sprinkled with parsley if using.