This healthy mango black bean quinoa salad with avocado will be your favourite easy lunch or summer salad. Dressed with a yummy honey chipotle lime dressing for vibrant, sweet flavour. It stays good in the fridge for days so can be made way ahead of time. If you want to meat/protein boost to your salad you can simply add a plain cooked chicken breast to compliment it.
SERVES 4 | TOTAL COOK TIME = 25 mins | PREP TIME = 10 mins
Per Serving = 497 Cals | Fat 17g | Carbs 76g | Protein 14g
- For the quinoa:
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- For the salad:
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 large mango, diced (about 1 heaping cup diced mango)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup diced coriander
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- For the honey lime chipotle dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chilli powder, plus more if you like things a little spicy
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To garnish:
- Extra coriander
- Add water and quinoa to a medium pot and place over high heat; bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for exactly 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove pot from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop all your fruits & veggies. Once done, add them to a large bowl along with your cooked quinoa.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing: olive oil, fresh lime juice, honey, dijon, chipotle chilli powder, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing all over the quinoa salad and toss to combine. Garnish with extra coriander if you’d like. Serve at room temp or cold. Salad will stay good for 4-5 days in the fridge.
Let’s talk about ingredients and some of their benefits:
- Mango: It’s sweet and juicy, especially this time of year!
- Black beans: Adds protein and fibre.
- Avocado: Healthy fats for the win.
- Red bell pepper: Adds the perfect amount of crunch and plenty of vitamins C & A.
- Jalapeño: For fiery flavour!
- Coriander: Because coriander is rich in immune boosting antioxidants.
- Honey Lime Chipotle Dressing: this dressing is SO easy to make! It’s just a mixture of a little lime juice, olive oil, honey, garlic, dijon, chipotle chilli powder, salt and pepper. What’s not to love?